I wouldn’t recommend this at home– Could be dangerous. Living with my husband when we were married was like living with “The Wildboyz”.
Remember that show on MTV, the one with those two guys who did absolutely stupid things. Steve O and Chris somebody were the stars. They traveled around the world mostly doing stupid stunts with animals. My husband didn’t do stupid things with animals. He just did stupid things. Well, actually there is the story about trying to electrocute the squirrel, which I will tell at another time.
I had gone out for a couple of hours one evening to visit my sister. As I drove back home and pulled down my street, it looked like my living room was on fire. Flames were shooting out of the chimney.
No sign of the fire department. I was afraid my husband and kids were trapped in the house. I had to save them. This was before cell phones. I peeled into the driveway and ran out of the car towards the house.
I ran in the door, I could feel the intense heat of the fire. I ran into the living room, sweat already dripping down my face from the heat. I could not believe what I saw. There’s my husband sitting in front of the fireplace with half of the kitchen table in the fireplace and the other half sticking out about two feet. The fire is so intense and is spreading toward the part of the table that is sticking out. The bricks of the fireplace are glowing. I look at the thermometer in the room and it is over 100 degrees. I didn’t even know what to say. I was speechless for one of the few times in my life.
He looks at me and says “I think this fire is getting a little out of control.” Duh!!! I ran in the kitchen and started filling up pans of water and started throwing water in the fireplace but all it would do was boil off immediately. You could hear the bricks sizzle as the water hit them. But I didn’t give up. I finally got the fire out. Then we started thinking about the floor underneath the bricks. Could the bricks have gotten so hot that a fire could start in the floor and spread down into the cellar? We didn’t know. But the thought panics my husband and he gets his ax and runs to the basement and starts hacking at the basement ceiling underneath the fireplace. Of course, there is no fire there, only a new hole in the basement ceiling. a really big hole.
I went back up stairs and poured some more water on the bricks and they still were steaming the water off. It took quite a lot of water to cool the bricks down. Finally, when the water started puddling a little I stopped and my husband had the job of cleaning up the wet gooey ashes and throwing the half burned table outside. It took hours to cool down the living room. It was winter and even with the windows open, the room was hot for a long time.
Moral of the story, don’t burn furniture in your fireplace unless you cut it into pieces first. To this day I don’t know what he was thinking (if anything) when he did it. He is so much like our son. Act first, think later.